Thursday, June 04, 2009

The Work Continues

Actually, the work we were paying Mr. Jim to complete is finished.  I learned quite a few things while he was here.  For instance, the reason our light switches are only 3 feet from the floor is because back in the day, building codes in the area required that fire stops be placed halfway up the wall to prevent the roof from catching fire.  So, the switches were placed below the fire stops instead of above.  My skills at mudding and taping have vastly improved as well.  The big thing I learned is that if we ever move to a bigger house, it will NOT have popcorn ceilings.  It is a pain to scrape off, but if you want to pay me a lot of money I would help you scrape it off.

We just have a lot of sanding and painting to complete. And, the carpet will be put in on June 10th so we will finally have our bed back. Sleeping on the air mattress has caused me to definitely miss my sleep number bed. I am happy and satisfied with everything, and no more renovations will be taking place until student loans are paid off. I will post more updates once we get a little more painting done.

Before painting and sanding is complete...


After painting and sanding and crown/base moulding...


What a ceiling looks like after you take the popcorn off...


This will take some time to sand and paint...


If you have ever been in our house, you may remember the small door in our hallway that housed the switch for the old ceiling fan in our bedroom.  (I know, why would someone wire a ceiling fan into the hallway?)  Anyway, gone now... Whoo-hoo!!

1 comment:

Cupcake Mama said...

Funny that your handyman/contractor is named Jim...ours is too! He will be coming over soon to put in my new laminate kitchen flooring!



Designed By:

Elements by Laura Deacetis