Friday, January 15, 2010

Show Us Your Life--Fitness

It's another Show Us Your Life Friday over at Kelly's Korner blog. Today's topic is exercise and diet. I'm definitely not an expert on the topic, but I can let you know what works for me.

I think too many women believe that once they have kids, the weight has to come off immediately. None of us are Heidi Klum. We don't have the money, trainers, or time to have all the weight off and be in a lingerie show 5 weeks postpartum. It takes time and discipline.

I am happy to say that after two kids (and three years post 2nd child later), I am probably in the best shape of my life and weigh the same as I did in high school. Things may not hang where they once did, but I'm not worried about it.

My Exercise week goes a little something like this...

*Monday-- Run/Walk 3 miles around the indoor track at the Y. I mostly walk fast. After every 1/3 mile, I do 15 push ups. In the middle of the 3rd mile I complete 100 push ups. This is excellent and doesn't require any equipment. (I have had to stop doing push ups recently because I have been diagnosed with arthritis in my shoulder.)

*Tuesday-- Zumba class. If you haven't tried it, I highly recommend it. You learn a lot of Latin dance steps that are really fun. Our instructor also adds in hip hop and country from time to time.

*Wednesday-- Run/Walk 3 miles (see Monday). I am still putting together an upper body workout to give me Jillian Michaels' shoulders.

*Thursday-- Zumba class. It may be frustrating at first if you can't get the moves, but it just takes practice, and it is an excellent lower body and cardio workout!! Here's a sample...


I take Friday, Saturday, and Sunday off, but I don't sit on the couch. I do laundry, housework, and probably travel up and down our stairs at least 100 times a day. Every now again I will do a workout DVD. Here is what I recommend...

Great Boot Camp Workout!








Great for Improving Flexibility








Great for Toning those trouble spots








As far as diet, I could make some improvements. I eat too many Mickey Mouse chicken nuggets from Costco (not healthy), but I never eat more than "a serving". I don't eat near enough veggies. And, I really need to layoff the M&M's, but if I stop buying them, M&M/Mars may go out of business, and I really don't want to be responsible for that. I will write about diet another day. This post is getting lengthy as it is.

No comments:



Designed By:

Elements by Laura Deacetis